A Birthday to Remember


Sometimes, the weirdest things happen to me.  Well, they happen because I’m a certifiable dork.

My birthday is today. All I can say is what was I thinking?

A week ago I agreed that because of my horrible habit of grinding my teeth at night I would need to have crowns placed on the last two upper molars on either side of my mouth.  How hard could it be? My dentist rather surprised at my ease of agreement scheduled me for January 21.  I went in, they did their business and two hours later I was sent home with temporary caps.  By that night at dinner, I had cracked one.  Ok. No problem.

The next day I went in for a replacement, and while a little more stressful since my mouth was not numb, it went fast and I was outta there.

Saturday the 23rd, I was invited to dinner and drinks by a couple of my friends.  As I hurried to clean my house, wash and do all the stuff I needed to do before getting ready, the time ticked away. Eventually, I showered and was in the process of drying and curling my hair sans a shirt, because no one like to sweat after having showered, when I dropped the red-hot curling iron.

I have long since learned that one never tries to catch a dropped glass or hot curling iron.

As it slipped out of my hand I watched in slow motion horror as it slid down my belly. I swear I heard a sizzle and smelled bacon cooking. I thought, ouch, but is just grazed me, I should be ok.  I would show your the 6 inch burn but, yeah, no.

I dressed and went to dinner at a local steak house.  I  ordered a filet mignon, soft and tender, and some mashed potatoes.  Not long after, I felt a piece of my cap in my mouth and I winced.  Another glass of wine and another trip to the dentist, please.

We went to another location for another drink with a friend and then decided to have desert, strawberry rhubarb pie in a jar topped with ice cream…yum. Before I knew it, my friends said, hey its your birthday! They had to wake me to tell me. I went home knowing I would be at the dentist in the morning and I sighed. Who does that?!

I woke up feeling a little queasy but I chalked it up to a late night and little sleep.  I ran downstairs to find the best birthday present ever. I can now run with my grandchild and I don’t have to postponed my routine anymore.


I dragged myself to my dentist’s office where we joked and he fixed me right up. As I left him, I felt my head starting to throb and the queasiness getting worse. Finally with a full blown migraine, I went to bed.

Five hours later I gave in and and asked that my prescribed medication be retrieved from the pharmacy.  It was time to get up and get ready for dinner….We went to the Red Rabbit, where according to my daughter, I fed my grandchild the Easter Bunny’s regional representative in a bolognese. It was delicious.

The waitress brought over a ice cream sandwich with a candle in it and I realized that despite it being a rough birthday, it was memorable and one I could tell the baby about in years to come. Mine was the first birthday candle he has ever seen. His mami’s will come in five days.

I am blessed with the love of family and friends, a dentist that will take care of me on a Sunday morning…. and a curling iron that works.  What else could I ask for?

Thank you to all my friends who wished me a day of adventure, fun, wine, and cake….it all came true!







About Caro

I am a social worker by training and a peace officer by profession having worked with California’s delinquent youth and young adults for 28 years. I firmly believe that our development as humans depends on our environment and that sometimes we get stuck. As such, I write about those things we sometimes ignore or fail to see until we are forced to pay attention.
This entry was posted in Family Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.